Most people buy rowing machines to help them lose weight and get in good shape. But while the rowing machine is useful, most users are unsure of the best way to row with the devices. Some also row with the desire of knowing the number of calories they burn in their bodies. As simple as it is, it is hard for anyone to keep the motivation of rowing if they are unaware of the calories, they burn in each rowing session.
The best way to of losing weight with a rowing machine is by learning the proper rowing techniques. Also, rowing and eating more garbs can be a barrier to your weight loss. It is, therefore, vital to ensure that you burn more calories than the ones you take to lose much weight.
To know the duration, you will take to burn 500 calories in your body. It is essential first to learn about calories.
What are Calories?
The calorie is the amount of energy that our body requires. A calorie can also be described as the energy amount needed or used to raise the temperature of 1kg of water by 1⁰. Calorie is the basic energy measurement unit and also refers to the energy we get from food and drinks that we take.
Most food packages in the world contain information on the calories content. Also, most weight loss supplements have lesser calories as their components.
According to a report, 11% of US citizens obtain their calories daily from garb food. These include sugary foods and saturated foods. Though calories are essential for human health, you should consume the right amount to avoid being overweight
Types of Calories
There are two types of calories:
- Small calorie (Cal) – Small calories refers to the amount of energy which is required for raising the temperature of 1g water by 1⁰ Celsius.
- Large calorie (kcal) – It is the amount of energy which is vital for raising the temperature of 1kg water by 1⁰ Celsius.
1kcal equals to 1000 calories
More often, the two calorie units are used interchangeably. For example, a food packaging may indicate that it contains a 250cal, but in reality, it contains 250kcal which equates to 250,000 calories.
How does the body burns calories?
The body burns 70% of the total calories through normal body processes such as breathing and respiration. These processes constitute the BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate which is useful for calculating the quantity of calories burned in the body. These processes ensure the normal body functions such as digestion, blood circulation, blood, and nervous system activities process normally.
You have to work out to burn the remaining 30% of the body calories. The intense physical activities such as weight lifting, push-ups, and more burns the remaining calories in the body.
Calories in food
The different types of food contain varying amounts of calories. The calories in food are categorized into alcohol, fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. The US nutrition labels show the number of calories I each food type. They are:
- Each gram of fat contains 9 kcal
- Each gram of alcohol contains 7 kcal
- 4 kcal in each gram of protein
- Every gram of carbohydrate contains 4 kcal
- 1.5 kcal in each gram of fiber (Though fiber is a carbohydrate, it is less digestible and therefore has fewer calories per gram)
Factors that Determine the Number of Calories Burned
Different people burn a varying number of calories when they exercise together for the same duration.
- Age – Age is an important aspect when determining how much of calories a person can lose. A 25-year older adult will need a considerably huge calories amount when you compare him with people of other age. The calories amount a person needs declines in every ten years by 2%. After a person reaches 25 years. The reduction in calorie needs as a person grows older is because the body replaces muscle mass with fat. Since muscles require more energy, a younger person requires more energy. An older person, on the other hand, has more fat masses hence requires less power.
- Sex – Men have more muscles than women of the same age and size. For example, a man of twenty years will have more muscles by about 10-20% when you compare him with a woman his age and size. Muscles require more energy; hence, men burn many calories; fat requires less energy, and therefore women burn fewer calories. Men, therefore, need more energy as they burn more calories than women.
- Basal Metabolic Rate – Each person requires energy for essential body functions such as breathing and digestion. These regular processes constitute the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Since each person has different BMRs, the calories burned to vary for each person. A person with a higher BMR requires more energy than a person with lower BMR.
- To calculate BMR, you have to multiply a man’s weight by 11 and a woman’s weight by 10. Therefore, a 160-pound woman will need 1500 calories each day while a 200-pound man requires 2200 calories each day. Also, a person who eats much requires more calories for digestion with the same applies to someone who does intensive physical activities.
- Body Composition – Your body composition plays a vital role in the number of calories you will burn. If your body primarily contains fat, you’ll require fewer calories. A person with more muscles, on the other hand, needs more energy for normal body processes. This is because the muscles burn more fats, especially during muscle movements.
What calories can I burn with a rowing machine?
If you are seriously into burning calories, then a rowing machine is the best equipment. The rowing machine works over 80% of the muscles in your body when rowing. These muscles are both in the lower and upper body, which makes it the best equipment for workouts.
When compared to running or cycling, rowing is a far much better method of working out. When it comes to rowing, you can buy an indoor rowing machine and rows indoors. Alternatively, you can go to the gym and row there. Regardless of where you are rowing, always remember to exert more effort. Keep your cores strong and engage pressure against your feet. You can also talk to a fitness expert on the best rowing techniques that work for your body.
Also, rowing machines involve multiple movements during workout sessions. It is therefore likely that you may misuse the device. With the rowing machines, the best way to burn more fat is to row harder.
Burning 500 calories on a rowing machine
Burning 500 calories with a rowing machine can be both a daunting and easier task. First, if you are starting on your workouts, you will lose much weight in the first few days of the week. However, as time goes by, your body will resist, which results in you burning fewer calories in each workout session.
The period it will take to burn 500 calories in a rowing machine depends on your weight, workouts periods, and BMR. To determine the time, you will take to burn 500 calories, and you have to measure your weight and age.
For example, if you are 20-years old male and you have a weight of 150 pounds, you can calculate the time you will take to lose 500 calories using the formula below:
Calories Burned [(your Age multiplied by 0.2017) – (your Weight multiplied by 0.09036) + (your Heart Rate multiplied by0.6309) – 55.0969] * Time/4.184
If you are a woman, use the formula below:
Calories Burned = [(Age*0.074) – (Weight*0.05741) + (Heart Rate*0.4472) – 20.4022] *Time/4.184
By replacing the figures with the calories burned, body weight, and heart rates, you can easily find the time you’ll take to burn the 500 calories.
Also, the table below approximates the number of calories you will burn per every rowing session.
The numbers above may vary in different people due to the weight, age, and heart rate of each person. For example, if you are an overweight person, you will have a higher heart as you’ll burn more calories than a physically fit person.
Also, a man who is out of shape will require more energy to lose the same number of calories as a physically fit man. This is because he needs more energy to finish the workout as his body is not suited to the workout demands.
Using a rowing machine monitor
The best way of monitoring the calories you burn during a workout is by using a fitness monitor in a rowing machine. However, the device only provides estimates which you should use to gauge the number of calories you lose in every session.
Also, it is challenging to calculate the exact calories burned per person due to differences in heart rate, age, and weight. However, the general rule that applies to rowing machines fitness monitors is, the more the rowing machine costs, the better the fitness monitor in calculating the calories burned.
Below is a quick list of recommended products.
Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine
|View on Amazon|
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW1205 Rowing Machine
|View on Amazon|
NordicTrack RW Rower
|View on Amazon|
Sunny Health & Fitness Obsidian Surge 500 Water Rowing Machine
|View on Amazon|
JOROTO Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine
|View on Amazon|
Indoorcardiopro.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.