Most people probably exercise to be healthy. To achieve your health and fitness goal, you have to include cardio work into your training. Cardio exercise intensifies your overall health. These exercises burn a lot of calories.
So, which cardio machine burns the most calories? Various machines can burn a massive number of calories and work on your heart rate. They include treadmill, elliptical machine, rowing machine, stair stepper, stationary bike, spin bike, and ski machine.
This article talks about various machines you can use to burn more calories. In each machine, you will see the average number of calories you can burn when using them. You will know how the machines are used.
Treadmills are the most common piece of exercise equipment to consider when you are planning to burn calories. They offer high-intensity interval training. It is the most straightforward machine to learn. To achieve all the cardio benefits using a treadmill, you only need to know how to walk.
From a stride at zero inclines, you can increase the calorie burn by increasing the intensity. To increase the intensity level, you need to incline. You will lose 183 calories when walking at a speed of 4mph on zero inclines (flat treadmill). This is a moderate workout.
When you increase the speed, the number of calories burned will increase drastically. If you use a steeper incline, the results will be fantastic. Treadmills are used to tone your lower body muscles. They will also give core benefits when you increase the intensity.
Cardio exercises such as treadmill workout will improve blood circulation and lower the blood pressure. The exercises strengthen the heart and protect them from diseases. They also help in protecting the body against blood vessel diseases.
Treadmill exercises will lower the level of bad cholesterol and raise the level of good cholesterol. If you suffered from heart disease, consult your doctor before you start exercising. This is to ensure that you do not mess with the medication or stress your body.
This exercise will tone your lower leg muscles (especially thighs and calves). When you increase the incline, you will experience minimal core toning.
2. Elliptical Trainer
This machine will enhance calorie burn. It will not damage your joints. You can burn up to 406 calories every time you use the elliptical trainer. Start with a gradual warm-up. Walk for some minutes until you get a brisk pace. The exercise intensifies after some minutes.
If you have a trainer, they will orient you on how to use the machine. Master all the controls so that you can be comfortable with the exercise. You can also read the instructions given.
How to use the elliptical trainer
- Stand on the machine facing the console. Until you start pedaling, nothing will happen on the machine.
- Switch the monitor on. To start pedaling, push the pedals forward with your feet. Push and pull the handles evenly.
- Follow the instructions on display carefully to select the pre-set programs. You can also choose “manual” to set your workout.
- You can increase or decrease the pedaling resistance while you are working out. Click up and down arrows to do so. You can monitor and gauge your workout intensity through the heart monitor function in the handles.
- Ensure that the elliptical trainer has stopped before stepping off. When you are feeling unwell or pain while on the machine, slow down or stop altogether.
Techniques on using an elliptical machine
- It is easier to maintain balance when pedaling in a forward motion. This will stimulate real movements. Backward pedaling is an advanced technique.
- Stand straight on the machine. Do not lean forward or backward. Do not lean on the handles for support. Avoid holding the handles tightly. You should look ahead.
- Focus on your goal of building strong bones.
- You may also add weight-bearing exercises to your workouts.
Benefits of an elliptical trainer
- Your lower body muscles will be toned.
- Your butt will also be toned.
- You will get upper body benefits on shoulders, arms, and chest.
- The added resistance will help in increasing the amount of core muscle usage.
3. Rowing Machine
You will burn an average of 320 calories when using a rowing machine. Thanks to CrossFit and studios, the equipment is becoming popular that either includes or entirely dedicated to a rowing machine.
Rowing machine uses almost all muscles in a body, and it is useful. Your thigh muscles are the most targeted ones.
You will require knowing how to use the machine.
How to use a rowing machine
Strap your feet to the pads. Put the strap across your foot bed. Make sure it’s tight to prevent your feet from sliding.
Grab and hold your stroke. Bring your knees up to reach for the handlebar which is in front of the machine. Tilt your torso slightly forward over your knees. Keep your spine straight with a good posture.
Start with your leg muscles and push off the footplate using your hamstrings. Using a rowing machine, you will use your legs more than your core, arms, and shoulders.
Focus on your core muscles, lean backwards to a 45-degree angle, pull the handlebar backwards towards you, and lightly hit your chest with it.
Keep your shoulders together to exercise them.
Extend your arms out. While bending your knees, pull your torso forward and put your legs on the top of the machine.
Do not shift around on the seat. You will twist in the wrong way. Stay still on the seat. The resistance of a rowing machine is gauged in watts.
Some benefits of rowing machine include:
- Back muscles will be worked out the most.
- You will gain core benefits.
- Your arms and shoulders will also exercise and tone more.
4. Stair Stepper
A stair stepper uses two pedals that move up and down with the motion of your feet. It is like climbing stairs.
If you want to take the pressure off your knees, stair stepper is your perfect choice. To maintain stability, you can use handrails.
Benefits of a stair stepper
Muscle toning: Stair stepper targets your lower body. The muscles that will be worked on include the abdominal muscles, glutes, hips, and thighs. These muscles will be worked on properly, thanks to the adjustable resistance levels. Your legs will also go through a complete range of motion. This will promote better results.
Stair stepper will strengthen your core. This is achieved when you maintain an upright position when using the stepper. When you start feeling the pressure, maintain the posture.
Your bone density will increase when using a stair stepper. Add some resistance to work against gravity for the best results.
Stair steppers are best known for burning calories. They are very effective in controlling weight.
Your feet will always be on the pedal when doing this type of exercise. The results will be a low impact workout.
Stair steppers will help in getting resistance when doing cardio.
This machine is suitable for people recovering from injuries, or with pre-joint pains.
5. Stationary Bike
Stationary bikes are effective in burning calories and body fats. The use of these bikes strengthens the heart, lungs, and muscles. The bikes will stress on joints less compared to other methods. You will burn an average of 336 calories at a speed of 12mph.
Benefits of stationary bikes
The use of stationary bikes will boost cardio fitness. Cycling will strengthen your heart, lungs, and muscles. Cycling also improves blood flow and oxygen flow in the body. This will help in improving memory and brain functioning, lower blood pressure, better sleep and mood, improve blood sugar levels, healthy immune system, and lower stress levels.
Cycling will help in weight loss. The intensity of your workout and body weight will determine the number of calories you will burn. Burning calories and building strength will lead to fat loss.
The use of a stationary bike will strengthen bones and joints without applying pressure on them. For people with injuries, this is their best option.
Cycling, especially when using high resistance, provides strength in the legs and lower body. Pedaling will strengthen your calves, hamstrings, core, back, glutes, and quadriceps. When cycling, you will be working out on your upper body muscles, including biceps, triceps, and shoulders.
The stationary bike allows interval training. This allows to alternate short bursts of intense exercise and longer intervals of less intense exercise. This will increase cardio fitness.
With stationary bikes, you can have varied resistance levels. You will exercise at low, medium, or high intensities.
Stationary bikes are safer than road cycling. You will not bother about traffic, road conditions, or elements. You can workout at a comfortable temperature any time you want.
6. Spin Bike
Spin bikes are slightly uncomfortable to use. The seats are smaller, and the intensity level for a spin is made for intermediate fitness levels and above. Spin bikes will help in toning muscles, burn excess fat, and improve the cardiovascular system.
Benefits of spin bikes
- A spin bike will help you monitor the amount of workout you do. This will ensure that you always hit the target.
- A spin bike is a machine that will make you do a high-intensity workout. It will make you burn a lot of calories. If you have consisted, the results will be visible in a few weeks.
- Spinning does not put a lot of pressure on the knees or thighs. This is the reason why it is suitable for people with arthritis and aged ones. People with injuries can also exercise. Exercise does not harm people.
- When you exercise, you will lower the stress level. Spinning a bike is an intensive workout type.
- This machine will help in applying pressure on core muscles, butts, and thighs. This will help to build muscle tone. Spinning lets your body work out without even realizing.
- Spinning will increase endurance without feeling tired. It can be done by people who do not like a challenging workout.
- When you are spinning, you will also be working on cardiovascular fitness.
- Cycling will help in protecting the body from certain types of cancer. This is through activation of cells to fight disease.
7. Ski Machine
The machine is simple in structure. Its movements are like when using ski poles to gain momentum. The results of using Ski machine is improved power, strength, and endurance. The machine works on full-body, the glutes, hamstrings, triceps, and shoulders.
To burn a lot of calories, create some resistance. You can use Ski machine for warming up and cardio workouts.
Many people are not familiar with this machine despite its high-level ability to burn calories.
To use the ski machine, stand tall, face the machine with feet apart, arms up, hands holding the handles. Bend your knees slightly, brace the core, push through glutes, and pull handles down. Your arms should be straight. Pull the handles down until your arms swing back past thigh. When rising back, activate glutes, push your hips forward and put arms back up to start.
Avoid the following mistakes:
- Squatting: the machine is a hip hinge.
- Dropping the chest: it can cause harm to your lower back. Dropping the chest will also remove glutes out of the exercise.
- Cutting the stroke short. This will reduce the number of meters climbed.
- Looking up. You will strain the neck instead of keeping it tucked.
When it comes to choosing the best cardio machine, make the best decision. Take the one that burns a lot of fat and generates the highest heart rate. When you increase the cardio exercises, you will burn more calories.
All the discussed machines will achieve your required goal. An elliptical machine may not generate results on your joints.
The use of bikes will work well on joints. Many machines monitor the number of calories burned. The figures on the calorie counters are only estimated. Use the estimates to determine which machines work better for you.
The goals you need to achieve are losing weight and toning muscles.
You can use different machines periodically to add diversity.
Indoorcardiopro.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.